Event Permits

Planning on holding an event? This page provides information about necessary permits that might be required for your event and provides information to help in your event planning. Please pay special attention to application deadlines.

City Parks

For events located in a City Park one or more of the following may be required;

Park Shelter Rentals

Park Shelter reservations for an event with 75 people or less must be made online through the facility reservation portal. Shelter rentals are made in 4 hour increments and are on a first come first served basis.   

Minor Park Event 

Events with between 76 and 250 people are considered Minor Events.   An Event Park Permit Application must be completed and submitted no less than 3 months in advance. Parks that can accommodate a minor event include;  Sayre Park, Two River Park, Veltus Park, Glenwood Park and Sopris Fields.  

Major Park Event

Major events are events with 251 or more participants. An Event Park Permit Application must be completed in full and submitted no less than 6 months in advance.  Parks that can accommodate major events include; Sayre Park, Two River Park, Veltus Park, Glenwood Park and Sopris Fields.  

Major and Minor events may require some or all of the following;

  • Site Plan: For most events, a detailed site plan will be required showing the proposed event area, including the location of event amenities such as parking, traffic control, emergency access, tent/canopy placement, dumpster locations, vendor parking locations, temporary fencing/barriers, location of port-a-potties and inflatables. 
  • Insurance: For events taking place on city property (including sidewalks, streets, alleys, and parks), the City of Glenwood Springs requires insurance coverage naming the City of Glenwood Springs as additionally insured in the amount of $1 million per event.
  • Special Event Liquor License:  An event at which alcohol will be served or sold requires a special event liquor license. The applicant must be a nonprofit organization registered with the Colorado Secretary of State for purposes of social, fraternal, patriotic, political or athletic activities; a regularly chartered brand, lodge, or chapter of a national organization or society; a regularly established religious or philanthropic institution; or a political candidate or committee.

    There are two types of Special Event Liquor Licenses in Glenwood Springs: 

Applicants must submit a fully completed application for a Special Events Liquor License to the City Clerk no less than 60 days prior to the event.

  • Temporary Street Obstruction:  Events that require a street, alley or sidewalk closure must first obtain a street obstruction permit to close a traffic lane or entire street, place a dumpster on the street, create a temporary pedestrian walkway, or store material on a street or alley.  Temporary Street Obstruction Permit must be submitted to the City Engineering Department for approval prior to the event.
  • Entertainment and Food Sales Requirements:  
    • Temporary Sale and Use Permit is required for outdoor retail or wholesales sales on a short-term basis within the following City of Glenwood Springs Parks: Axtell, Centennial, Glenwood Park, Gregory, Sayre, Two Rivers, Veltus or White Water Park. This permit should be obtained for produce stands, peddlers, solicitors, short-term displaying of goods for retail sale and vending carts. 
    • Vendors will also need to obtain a sales tax/business license through the Finance Department at glenwoodsprings.munirevs.com. Temporary vendors or event vendors, must pay $25 and also provide a $100 deposit. 
    • All food vendors are required to obtain health department approval prior to the event from the Garfield County Health Department (located in Rifle). 
  • Tents and Canopies:  A Temporary Membrane Structure, Tent and Canopy Permit is required if larger than a 10x10 pop-up is being used or if the tent will be near open flames or cooking, please contact City Fire Department 970-384-6433 with questions.